Friday, August 26, 2016

Digital Literacy Autobiography

My family gave me a computer for Christmas, when I was a kid.  My mom says I was 3. Do I seem 3 years old in the picture?  I learned to navigate my computer, with incentive to play games such as: Winnie the Pooh, Aladdin, Land Before Time, and Franklin the Turtle.

My first experience with the internet involved listening to the sound of the dial-up connection.  At the time, the sound seemed high tech.  I am not sure exactly when I started using the internet. I remember that I had typing class in 7th grade, though. I used the internet to play games, after I finished my typing homework.

I signed up for Facebook when I was 14.  My mom told me how to sign up. I signed up for Twitter, in college. My friends helped me stop being a noob by helping me change the egg logo to my profile picture.

Supplementary online support is convenient because students can easily find instructions, course syllabi, and class notes on canvas.  Students can message each other about homework-related questions. One disadvantage might include additional coursework for students because teachers and students have an accessible means of communicating outside of class via structures such as canvas.  Another disadvantage is the added screen-time of using online support.  However, I can allocate time spent doing homework online, in order to avoid eyestrain from screen-time and stress from course work.





5 comments:

  1. I love this picture of you, Jazzy! Ah, the good old days of huge computer monitors. I think all of us youngsters just wanted to play games, but in the end, those games probably helped us become more computer savvy.

    I remember the sound of dial-up as well, mainly from my brother's house. For some reason, I don't recall ever having dial-up in MY house, though.

    I see you used Facebook and Twitter; what led you to deleting your social media? Too much loss of privacy?

    I agree that supplementary online support is convenient for students, especially when students have a large course load. It's so easy to get mixed up between classes, but having Canvas to check makes that less likely. Your comment about added screen-time is also definitely a concern. Our generation already has trouble stepping away from screens--whether computer, phone, tablet, or something else--as it is.

    At the same time, I feel that students should take a little responsibility to make time to step away from the computer as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! We used ours to watch general conference. Computer at 3: new mom goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jazzy,

    I enjoyed reading your digital literacy autobiography. Thanks for sharing your post!

    I am really impressed with the younger generations' capacity to learn technology (and I mean those who are younger than me). I believe digital natives have more access to consuming (and creating) information in various ways -- for purposes of communication, education, entertainment, and so forth. Of course, there will always be pros and cons to technology, but the possibilities are endless as we try to minimize the disadvantages of leading digital lives.

    Thanks for blogging! I look forward to reading more from you.

    Dr. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jazzy,

    I enjoyed reading your digital literacy autobiography. Thanks for sharing your post!

    I am really impressed with the younger generations' capacity to learn technology (and I mean those who are younger than me). I believe digital natives have more access to consuming (and creating) information in various ways -- for purposes of communication, education, entertainment, and so forth. Of course, there will always be pros and cons to technology, but the possibilities are endless as we try to minimize the disadvantages of leading digital lives.

    Thanks for blogging! I look forward to reading more from you.

    Dr. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. All responses recorded. ~Dr. B (sgd)

    ReplyDelete